Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Injustice!

Grrr.... >:-/

Playing Scrabble online, the other day, against my Mother, I was accused of cheating. Can you believe that? Why on earth would I cheat at my favorite game? Does anything productive ever come from cheating ... really? No.

Here's what happened:

I played CODGERS -- a nice 7-letter word! I never get those! I'd been rearranging my tiles, and this showed up. It sounded familiar, so I checked in my Scrabble Dictionary to be sure it was a word before I played it (some people say you're not supposed to do this, but this is how I've ALWAYS played! ... and my Mom plays this way, too ... FYI). Anyhoo. I played it, and I scored 79 points.

Later in the game, I played RAJ. This is a word I've learned -- through playing online Scrabble with other friends -- that is acceptable. It means "dominion; sovereignty".

Next thing I know, my Mom plays YIRR. I *know* my Mom doesn't use this in everyday speech, and I figured it wasn't a word she just knew (don't get me wrong ... my Mom knows a lot of words that I've never heard of! But, this one just didn't seem likely). I asked if she looked it up, and she said, "Yes." Then I said, "Cheating now, are we?" She responds with, "Don't tell me you don't."

Ugh! The injustice! I would NOT cheat! Especially not at my favorite game! I was quite offended. >:-?

Can I help it that I've played a lot of Scrabble and, therefore, have learned a lot of new words -- words you/I may not use in everyday speech? No. Can I help it that I read a lot, and -- in so doing -- pick up a lot of new words? No. I love to read, and I love to play Scrabble, and if those things increase my vocabulary, so be it ... all the better, if you ask me!

Anyhoo. Mom finally sulked and said something along the lines of, "Well then, obviously you're a lot smarter than me!" No, Mom. Not smarter. I just possibly have a greater "Scrabble Word" knowledge. :0?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home