Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Saying "I'm Sorry"

Saying "I'm Sorry" to one of your parents has to be one of the hardest things EVER! But, it's also survivable.

Sometime last year I lost one of my old journals. I'd had it out, and had been reading through it, and had left it lying beside my bed on the floor. My mom came to babysit my kids while DH and I went out to dinner one night, and everything was as usual. I didn't have time to go back to the journal until about 2 weeks later. But, that was when I discovered it was "missing". It wasn't beside my bed.

I searched my whole house over 3 times (even in boxes I'd not looked in for years), and couldn't find the journal for the life of me. And then it hit me: My mom had been in my room, at the 'scene of the crime' at about the same time the journal went missing. Logical conclusion? (or to me, it was logical, anyway) Mom stole the journal.

Now, before I go on, you must understand that she has a history with this particular journal. When I was 19 years old, and still living at home, I was a rebellious Christian teenager, and Mom was worried. She snooped in my room, found this particular journal (then current), read it, and then promptly kicked me out of the house ... I had to go live with a friend for a month until I found my own place.
It's not that I was into a bunch of awful stuff. It's just that I was living in a Christian household, and my behaviour of that time was decidedly "unChristian". :-?

Anyhoo. Long-story-shorter, I called my Mom and accused her of stealing my journal. Actually, I asked her if she took it, and she denied doing so, and I didn't believe her, so I proceeded to not talk to her for 3 months.

Fast-forward to last week...

I found my missing journal. Somehow (and I'm still clueless as to HOW or WHY) the darn thing ended up in the *bottom* of my book-bin out in the garage. I have absolutely NO recollection of putting it there, and I've no idea why I'd have put it there when all of my *other* journals are in the house. :-?

So, I had to apologize to my Mom. I bought her a birding book (she'd recently said she was wanting to get one), and I gave her an "apology" card. She said all is well, and that she still loves me.

.... I'm relieved both that 1) I found my journal, and 2) that my Mom could forgive me so easily. :-?

Man, though! Never again will I be so quick to jump to conclusions! That was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. :-?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home