Friday, May 20, 2005

Dilemma

I used to lead a book club ministry through my church. The Page Skippers Book Club had a good two-year run, but we always had troubles. We had committed to reading only Christian books, and that made it very difficult for our members to get a hold of copies. None of us could afford to purchase our books, and the libraries didn't carry enough copies. We always ended up with only half of the group that had been able to read the book of the month, and the other half sitting there upset because they couldn't get a copy in time. :-? That, coupled with life getting in the way, brought our club to an end.

The problem for me is, though I was hesitant to *become* the leader of a Book Club ministry, once I got going, I came to really love it, and to really develop a vision of all it could be! God gave me a real passion for growing people through books!

I would still like to lead a Christian Book Club, but I'm scared. I'm afraid to fail again. I've been seeking out books that aren't necessarily labelled "Christian", but that have "clean" content (no foul language, no sex, etc), and that have great discussion themes. Books like these that The Page Skippers enjoyed were "Tending Roses" by Lisa Wingate, and "Letters for Emily" by Camron Wright.

A few that I've found that might be good are...

"Welcome to Higby" by Mark Dunn
"The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith
"Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger
"The Testament" by John Grisham

[Do you have any more suggestions? Leave me a comment! :-)]

I need to get Gladys Hunt's book, "Honey for a Woman's Heart", out of the library again. It had some great suggestions, too!

I have been thinking about asking my new church if they have a Book Club, or if they'd like one started up. But, I'm very hesitant to do so. :-? I get sooo attached to leading a book club, that I get very disappointed if it doesn't work out.

More prayer ... that's what I need. I need to get on my knees and see if this is what I should do.

Comments welcome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home